Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Evangelical Church in Korçë and Sheep









When John and I take walks on the hillsides surrounding the city of Korce, we often see a shepherd with his flock of sheep (and a few goats.)  We also see some of the work being done by the Evangelical Church of Korce and its Kennedi Foundation. The roots of the Evangelical Church in Albania go back to 1892. Today's  work includes ministry to the the elderly for which a large building to house the elderly is now under construction on a hillside.  We often walk by this building which a Dutch volunteer mission team is currently working on.

This work is possible today because of foresighted early missionaries named  Phinneas Kennedy and Edwin Jaques.   Kennedy is still well known and remembered by the elderly in Korca.   Property for the Church had been purchased in and around Korca between the two World Wars. Missionaries had to flee Albania when the Communists came to power, but wisely took the deeds to the Church's properties. 

After the opening of Albania and the demise of Communism here,  the deeds were taken to the new government and the property was restored to the Evangelical Church.  The picture on the right shows that the Kennedy Foundation and the Misioni Baptist Konservativ are together responsible for this new facility.
Go to this link to see more information about the Kennedy Foundation in Albania


Learning about the various ministries of the Evangelical Church in Korca and the Kennedy foundation amaze us.  The ministry programs of the church include a Ministry to the Elderly, a Feeding Program for Children, a Medical Clinic with Nurse on Staff, a Home for Abused Women and addition to a vibrant preaching and teaching misistry. Language programs and Music Lessons are also offered by the Church Staff.  We see the Church and Foundation Staff as the Shepards to a large, hungry flock.  The following Scriptures illustrate the work of the Church here:


Ezekiel 34:31

You are my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign LORD.



Ezekiel 34:15-16

15 I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign LORD. 16 I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice.



Isaiah 40:11

11 He tends his flock like a shepherd: 
   He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
   he gently leads those that have young.

John 21:15-17

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”   “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
   Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
 16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
   He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
   Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
 17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
   Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
   Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.






This little Church building is about half the distance from our flat to the top of the mountain where the Orthodox Christians planted a cross after the 1997 troubles.

The Cross overlooks the sheep and the City of Korca



No comments:

Post a Comment